OBJECTIVES OF THE BRANCH
1. Provide a forum for the exchange of information, experience and advice in the areas of disability.
2. Advocate and lobby for the observation and implementation of the rights of the disabled children.
3. Mobilize parents of disabled children in Bulawayo into the activities of the branch.
4. Assist parents build their capacity in meeting the challenges faced by their children.
5. Raise the awareness in the community on the situation of the disabled and what can be done to change the situation.
6. Network with Government, NGOs and other DPOs in the provision of basic services.
7. Advocate and lobby for the recognition of the challenges faced by children with disabilities and their families and help to bring about positive change.
8. Carry out fundraising activities to enable the branch fulfill its objectives.
HOW ZPHCA WAS FORMED
ZPHCA was established in 1987 after parents attending therapy at Harare General Hospital Childrens Rehabilitation Unit were advised by staff to organize themselves into groups. It was registered as a welfare organization in 1990.Todate it has spread to more parts of the country with branches in both urban and rural areas.
ZPHCA BULAWAYO BRANCH
The Bulawayo branch of ZPHCA was formed in 1992 and has active membership of 158 parents and young adults with 132 children. A Development worker, coordinator and Secretary at the office and a branch committee coordinate its activities. The members are spread out in the suburbs of the city of Bulawayo where they have support groups that meet regularly to share information and experiences.